Role: Personal use Aircraft
National Origin: United States
Manufacturer: Piper Aircraft
First Flight: 1946
Primary User: Civilian Owners
Number Built: 3760
The Piper PA-12 Super Cruiser is an American three-seat, high wing, single-engine conventional landing gear-equipped light aircraft that was produced by Piper Aircraft between 1946-48. The PA-12 was an upgraded and redesignated Piper J-5.When Piper dropped the J- designation system in exchange for the PA- system, the J-5C became the PA-12 “Super Cruiser”. The earlier J-5s had been powered by either a 100 hp (75 kW) Lycoming O-235 or a 75 hp (56 kW) Lycoming O-145. The newer PA-12 model was initially powered by a 108 hp (81 kW) Lycoming O-235-C engine, was fully cowled, and had a metal spar wing with two 19 gallon fuel tanks. A Lycoming O-235-C1 engine rated at 115 hp (86 kW) for takeoff was optional.
The prototype NX41561 was converted from a J-5C and first flew from Lock Haven, Pennsylvania, on 29 October 1945. The first production model followed on 22 February 1946 and quantity production continued until the last example of 3760 built was completed on 18 March 1948.
The PA-12 is approved for wheels, skis, floats and also for crop spraying.
Cockpit accommodation is provided for the pilot in the front seat and two passengers in the rear seat, side-by-side. Unlike the J-3 Cub the PA-12 is flown solo from the front seat.
- Crew: one, pilot
- Capacity: two passengers
- Length: 22 ft 10 in (6.96 m)
- Wingspan: 35 ft 5.5 in (10.81 m)
- Height: 6 ft 10 in (2.08 m)
- Empty weight: 950 lbs (432 kg)
- Max. takeoff weight: 1,750 lbs (795 kg)
- Powerplant: 1 × 4-cylinder air-cooled horizontally-opposed piston engine, 100 hp (75 kW)
- Cruise speed: 91 knots (105 mph, 169 km/h)
- Stall speed: 42 knots (49 mph, 79 km/h)
- Range: 521 nm (600 mi, 965 km)
- Service ceiling: 12,600 ft (3,840 m)
- Rate of climb: 600 ft/min (3.05 m/s) at sea level
- Wing loading: 9.8 lb/ft² (47.9 kg/m²)
- Power/mass: 17.5 lb/hp (10.74 kg/kW)
- Min. Take-off Run: 720 ft (220 m)
- Min. Landing Roll: 470 ft (143 m)